Carpet unfortunately can have the reputation of being a poor choice for homes with people with asthma or allergies. Some people shy away from choosing carpet because they have heard of the “new carpet smell” and are not sure if that odor is dangerous or it ever goes away.
The truth of the matter is:
- According to the Carpet and Rug Institute: Studies have shown that carpet is better at trapping allergens than hard surface, such as tile or hardwood, because carpet fibers catch particles and allergens that fall to floor.
- When allergens are trapped in the carpet, they cannot circulate in the air for you to breathe.
- Using the proper type of vacuum on a regular basis will remove dirt and dust from the floors and trap it inside the vacuum.
- Scientific studies also show that new carpet is one of the lowest emitters of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) into the indoor environment. In fact, carpet emits less VOCs than other products such as paint.
- These emissions clear very quickly. The odors dissipate within the first 48 to 72 hours after installation — even sooner with open windows or doors.
If you are considering carpet and had these same concerns – worry no more! We can help you choose the perfect carpet for your home or office. We can even bring samples to you with our Mobile Floor Source. Don’t miss out on another day of enjoying your home with a cozy, comfortable, carpeted floor!